Mr. Derrick Ong is the Principal Dietitian and Founder of Eat Right Nutrition Consultancy.
Derrick is an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) with Dietitians Australia, an Accredited Dietitian of Singapore (ADS) and current Chairman of Sports Nutrition Special Interest Group of SNDA.
He is also a Medical Committee Member of the Football Association of Singapore (FAS).
Derrick is a fervent advocate that empowering oneself with good nutrition knowledge & preventative health education will effectively support transitions in our life stations for example: Pregnancy & Breastfeeding, Pandemic Weight Gain, Anti-Aging and Onset of chronic conditions such as Diabetes, Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Obesity.
He is also a firm believer that healthy food should also be delicious and culturally localized food.
“Making Nutrition Work” and “Prevention is Better Than Cure” is in the DNA of Derrick Ong.
Prior to setting up Eat Right, Derrick practiced as a Clinical Dietitian at the Singapore General Hospital and National Healthcare Group Polyclinics.
He also practiced as a Locum Dietitian at Thomson Paediatric Centre Novena, Mount Alvernia Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital, Mount Elizabeth Hospital Orchard, and Farrer Park Hospital where he tended to adult & paediatric patients with weight, feeding / food and diabetic conditions.
Derrick’s passion is in one-to-one nutrition coaching in his private clinic, public speaking & conducting large scale seminars cum talks and workshops (face to face or virtual mode) on key nutrition trends to empower people to make healthier choices in their daily cooking, eating & shopping.
He was a lead trainer in Health Promotion Board (HPB) initiatives through the years e.g., Healthier Choice Administration Programme, Lose To Win, Healthy Meals in Childcare/Schools, FunXplore Workshops, Phone Coaching for Overweight Children/Teenagers and Healthier Dining Programme.
During the Covid-19 Pandemic in 2020, Derrick & team pivoted to deliver virtual nutrition trainings, workshops and videos, notably for Singapore Heart Foundation World Heart Health Day Oct 2020 Virtual, Chronic Diseases Management Workshop in Feb, May, Jul, Nov 2020 for HPB’s Nurses and Student Health Counsellors and Nestle NAN Virtual E-meet with parenting influencers in Sept 2020.
In 2014-2017, Derrick led the Eat Right nutrition team to successfully converted 26 food courts around Singapore to be certified Healthier Food Courts under the Health Promoting Mall initiative. He was directly involved with liaising with food court stall owners, weighing of ingredients, analysis of recipes and providing suggestions for recipe modification in order to meet the 500 kcal limit for main dishes.
In 2013, 2014 & 2017, Derrick delivered lectures on Dietary Management of Chronic Diseases at the Clinical Diabetes Management Workshop for Pharmacists (Continual Medical Education) organised by the Department of Pharmacy, The National University of Singapore.
Derrick was also invited to make presentations and provide his professional opinions in public seminars for 200 – 500 audience strength in Singapore such as:
- Eating Right for a Hectic Lifestyle (Sept 2020) – NuSkin Ultimate ageLOC TR90 On A1R (ASEAN edition, recording)
- Eating for A Busy Lifestyle (Nov 2019) – Sunfit Health & Wellness Family Day
- Eat Right for Pregnant Mummy & Healthy Baby (Nov 2019) – SG Baby Club x AIA Pregnancy Seminar
- Healthy Bento Making Competition VIP Judge (Mar 2019) at SPH Food & Beverage 2019
- Love At First Sight Pregnancy Seminar (Oct 2018) - Pregnancy & Post Natal Diet Best Practices by Abbott & Mt Alvernia Hospital
- SuperMoms Pregnancy Seminar (June 2016) on “Healthy Baby Happy Mummy”
- The Singapore Straits Times Newspaper Baby Ready Seminar (June 2016) on “Must Knows in Pre-Natal & Postnatal cum Breastfeeding Nutrition”
- Baby’s First Foods & Weaning (April 2015) by Nestle
- Nutrigenomix : Diet and Prevention of Chronic Lifestyle Disease (Sept – Nov 2015) for 2 Swiss Banks’ High Network Clients Events in Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Public Forum at National University of Singapore (June 2014)